Interesting facts about chimpanzees
– All chimpanzees are members of the genus Pan.
– The bonobo is only slightly smaller than the common chimpanzee but noticeably thinner.
– Chimpanzees have an odd way of walking because they do it on the knuckles of their hands.
– Although chimpanzees are primarily quadrupeds (they walk on four legs), they can walk on two legs for some moments.
– The average life expectancy of chimpanzees is 31.7 years for males, and 38.7 years for females. However, they can live between 40 and 60 years, and even more.
– They all are native to central and western Africa.
– 21-22 countries have chimpanzees. Those with the largest populations are Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, Cameroon, Sierra Leone, Ghana, Tanzania, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Uganda.
– Chimpanzees share about 98 percent of their DNA with humans; this makes them our closest relatives alive since other hominids like the Neanderthal are already extinct.
– Male chimpanzees tend to be taller and heavier than females.
– Chimpanzees are omnivorous. They eat mostly fruits (and not just bananas!), but they can eat leaves, stems, and meat from small animals.
– Their favorite prey is colobus monkeys.
– The common chimpanzee has four subspecies: Pan troglodytes troglodytes or tschego, Pan troglodytes vellerosus or ellioti, Pan troglodytes verus and Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii.
– Chimpanzees live in large communities, sometimes more than 100 individuals.
– An alpha male dominates a community of common chimpanzees, who is the one who has the right to mate with females in heat.
– Although chimpanzees can carry the Immunodeficiency Virus, they do not develop AIDS disease, like humans.
– The bonobos are more peaceful than that of the common chimpanzees. There is rarely any aggression between members of Pan Paniscus.
– Chimpanzees are not monkeys because they have no tail. They are part of the group of great apes.
– Bonobos use sex not just to reproduce. They also practice sexual activities as a greeting and to resolve conflicts, among other reasons.
– Chimpanzees have few predators, but some of these are leopards, lions, and pythons.
– Some common chimpanzees can kill and eat chimpanzees from another community.
– Both species of chimpanzee are in danger of extinction.
– Chimpanzees are one of the few animals that can use tools to solve some problems.
– They do not like to get wet, and they cannot swim. That’s why bonobos and common chimpanzees do not cross the Congo River.
– They have passed the test of the mirror. Therefore, they could have some degree of self-consciousness.
– Chimpanzees sleep in the trees, on nests built with branches and leaves.
– Their main threats are the destruction and degradation of their habitat, commercial poaching, and diseases.
– Humans and chimpanzees shared a common ancestor less than 10 million years ago.
BioExpedition Publishing © 2017.